Title: Video Systems Engineer – Burbank
Reporting To: Director, Production Engineering (Burbank)
Location: Burbank, CA
In the action-packed world of live video creation and distribution, The Switch is always on and always there – setting the industry benchmark for quality, reliability, and unmatched levels of service. The Switch network connects over 800 of the world’s largest content producers and distributors to each other, and to professional sports and event venues; seamlessly linking rights holders, broadcasters, streaming platforms, media outlets and web services. Our video production and global transmission services are trusted every day by corporate enterprises and leading sports, news and entertainment organizations who rely on The Switch to turn-on their live content, anywhere in the world.
Learn more about us at: www.theswitch.tv.
The Switch is seeking a Video Systems Engineer to manage day-to-day broadcast engineering operations and control room technology in our Burbank location. You must be proactive in identifying and executing new projects, covering preventive maintenance and system/workflow upgrades. The ability to work successfully in a team environment and build effective relationships cross functionally throughout the Company is essential for success in this role.
Responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
- Provide engineering support of production broadcast systems related to: Net Insight (Nimbra) data transmission links, multi-city network addressing installation and routine maintenance, overall PoP and venue equipment addressing schemes, Burbank Network Operations Center (BNOC) IT monitoring equipment, video and audio control systems, Imagine iP3/Magellan, Grass Valley iControl and related, master control and studio support as needed, satellite uplink and downlink, and customer requirement analysis and support.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of system design changes, firmware upgrades and ongoing maintenance of the systems. This may require late night and early morning on-site or remote presence as needed.
- Provide daily engineering support, as well as for all facility events:
- Net Insight Nimbra long-haul video transmission system with NimbraVision NMS
- Miranda node video routing control system with Miranda iControl NMS
- ScheduALL resource management system for all network capacity assignments and execution of Nimbra and Miranda subsystems
- Customer and NOC graphical user interfaces to interoperate with ScheduALL resource management systems, associated load balancers, web servers and application servers
- Routine engineering support for the facility for any anomalies of The Switch’s network transmission systems
- Maintain, upgrade and troubleshoot related equipment as needed
- Assist with customer and venue deployments. Liaise with customers and external/internal individuals in a professional manner
- Assist with testing of new software/firmware in a lab environment
- Work closely with the IT department regarding networking issues, concerns and recommendations
- Assist the Director, Engineering and other team members with special projects as assigned
- Respond to network emergencies in a timely manner
- Communicate project status frequently with internal departments and senior management
- Plan system maintenance and deployments. Perform work for major system upgrades and implementations
- Assist with key facility systems of the Burbank NOC such as HVAC, UPS and generator
- The ideal candidate will have experience providing technical support in a fast paced, high energy, 24/7 environment
- Accountable for cost control, accurate documentation, quality of installation, maintenance of equipment and communication of technical changes
- Some local travel will be required
- Minimum of 5+ years’ relevant experience in an IP-centric television systems or production/broadcast environment
- Bachelor’s Degree and CCNA certification is preferred
- Ethernet, TCP/IP, routing, subnet network management and utilization experience
- Experience with VPNs, Cisco equipment, NAS and LAN Management is preferred
- Extensive knowledge and experience with computer related equipment such as hubs, servers, routers and switches
- Have fluent understanding and the ability to read wiring diagrams, flowcharts and schematics
- Experience with Net Insight’s Nimbra MSR platform is preferred
- Knowledge of broadcast signal workflow
- Meticulous attention to detail, time management and appropriate follow-up skills
- Working knowledge of computerized television broadcast equipment and related systems
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) with the ability to think critically and work independently
- Knowledge of Microsoft and Apple products, related operating systems and Linux is preferred
- Excellent project management and problem-solving skills
- Expert multi-tasker and exceptionally organized
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and challenging environment
- Able to complete physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation, including bending, climbing ladders, lifting & carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Must have a current driver’s license, access to a personal automobile ideally, and be able to drive to sites
- Flexible to work weekends & off-hours as needed
- Able to travel locally on occasion
- Full-Time, onsite in Burbank office
- May require off-hour work
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Compensation based on experience
Please send resumes via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.